Iowa preview: Sam Schram named crew chief for BHRJuly 5, 2017
News Bulletin: Sam Schram named crew chief for Bret Holmes Racing
STATESVILLE, N.C. (July 5, 2017) – Bret Holmes Racing announced today that Sam Schram is returning as crew chief for the No. 23 Southern States Bank/Holmes II Excavation team.
He succeeds Bryan Berry, who the team last week announced had left to pursue other opportunities in racing.
Schram, a New York native, previously worked with BHR during its limited ARCA schedule in 2016.
In previous stints at Lira Motorsports and GMS Racing, Schram worked with some of the industry’s best, including current ARCA driver Kyle Weathermen and 2015 ARCA Racing Series Champion Grant Enfinger.
Under Schram’s leadership in 2016, BHR managed three top-5 and six top-10 finishes in only seven starts as the team ran a limited schedule before going full-time in 2017.
Bret Holmes, No. 23 Southern States Bank Chevrolet
ARCA Racing Series Presented by Menards
Fans With Benefits 150
Iowa Speedway (July 8, 2017)
Race: 10 of 20?
Crew Chief: Sam Schram
Primary Sponsor(s): Southern States Bank / Holmes II Excavation
Engine: ARCA Ilmor 396
2017 Driver Points: 5th (1815 pts.)
2017 SCOTT Rookie Points: 2nd (218 pts.)??
Sound Clip – Bret Holmes:
Bret, what are your thoughts on Sam (Schram) being back with the team as crew chief?
“We are extremely excited to have Sam back with us as we take on the second half of the season. We all saw that we were not getting the results that we needed in the first part of the season, and now we feel like we have a new fire lit under us. We have run very well in the past with Sam’s leadership, and I think we will again.”
What have you heard about Iowa Speedway, and what can we expect from you this Saturday?
“I have been maintaining a pretty consistent dialogue with Grant (Enfinger) over the past few races, especially when we are going to a track that I haven’t been to before. He gave me some very helpful tips on the track and from what I hear it is a pretty rough track, which is good for me because rough tracks tend to fit my racing style well. I’m looking for a big race for us this weekend.”
Going into the race this weekend at Iowa, what are your biggest goals for yourself and the team?
“We have to be more consistent. I feel like we have good equipment coming to the tracks, but we just have to get over that wall that is keeping us from getting into Victory Lane. I know we are capable of winning multiple races this season, we just need to execute. This weekend will be no different than last week or next week - regardless of who our crew chief is. We want to win, and anything else is unacceptable.”
The Highlight Reel:
- Another new track for Holmes – The Munford, Ala., native will make his Iowa Speedway debut this Saturday in the Fans With Benefits 150. This will be the sixth track in a row that Holmes has not previously raced on in the ARCA Racing Series.
- Iowa Schedule -- Practice for the Fans With Benefits 150 is from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday with General Tire Pole Qualifying following at 3:15 p.m. The Fans With Benefits 150 is scheduled to get the green flag at 8:18 p.m. Follow Live Timing, Scoring and Chat at arcaracing.com. The race will also be tape-delayed on MAVTV, scheduled to air July 22 at 10 p.m. ET.
- Now that school is out, Holmes is back in the shop – As an Auburn University student, Holmes must juggle a lot of things during the school year. With the summer break in full swing though, he has plenty of time to focus on racing and get up to the shop in Statesville, N.C., to help prepare the cars during the week, before heading to the track on the weekends. Holmes will start his Junior year at AU this Fall.
Bret Holmes 2017 ARCA Season Stats:
- Starts: 9 (9 of 20)
- Wins: 0 (0.0%)
- Top-5 Finishes: 2 (22.2%)
- Top-10 Finishes: 5 (55.6%)
- Best Start: 2nd (Elko)
- Best Finish: 4th (Elko / Michigan)
- Laps Completed: 1254 of 1387 (90.4%)
- Laps Led: 0
- Average Start: 11.0
- Average Finish: 11.2
- DNF: 2 (Talladega / Toledo)
For more on Bret Holmes, please visit his new website at www.bretholmes.com or “like” him on Facebook (@bretholmesracing). Follow him on Twitter (@bretholmes_2).
About Bret Holmes Racing: Bret Holmes Racing is an Alabama-based ARCA racing team that operates out of Munford, AL and Statesville, N.C. while still holding true to its traditional southern roots. Founded by Stacy Holmes, of Holmes II Excavation in Munford, the team sticks to its good nature and solid values to put the best product on and off the track with its driver Bret Holmes.