Montgomery Ward 200 PreviewJune 21, 2017
Bret Holmes, No. 23 Southern States Bank Chevrolet
ARCA Racing Series Presented by Menards
Montgomery Ward 200
Madison International Speedway (June 23, 2017)
Race: 9 of 20
Team Information: Crew Chief:
Primary Sponsor(s): Southern States Bank / Holmes II Excavation
Engine: ARCA Ilmor 396
2017 Driver Points: 5th (1620 pts.)
2017 SCOTT Rookie Points: 2nd (194 pts.)
Sound Clip – Bret Holmes:
Bret, 4th place finish at Michigan, how do you feel now about the progression of the season compared to a few weeks ago?
“I think we are in a much better place now than we were a few weeks ago. I know that our intermediate and short track programs have continued to get stronger, and I think the confidence level in the team has increased as well. Overall, I feel like the running story is if we can stay out of trouble, we can get good results. We just have to stay away from the bad luck.”
What have you heard about Madison International Speedway, and what can we expect from you this Friday?
“I spoke with Grant (Enfinger) about it, and he was giving me some helpful tips that I think will help this Friday. To me, the track looks a little bit like Martinsville but a little bit shorter with more banking. It seems to be a tough track on brakes too. I think if we can just settle in and get the balance of the car right, we will be all right.”
How has your relationship with (crew chief) Bryan Berry developed over the season? “I think it has come a long way in a short period. We started out having some communications issues at Nashville, but by the time we got to Elko we had them worked out. I feel like we are on the same page now, and hopefully, it will only continue to get better as we look to make a run at the championship.”
The Highlight Reel:
• Another new track for Holmes – The Munford, Ala., native will make his Madison International Speedway debut this Friday in the Montgomery Ward 200. This will be the fifth track in a row that Holmes has not previously raced on in the ARCA Racing Series.
• Now that school is out, Holmes is back in the shop – As an Auburn University student, Holmes must juggle a lot of things during the school year. With the summer break in full swing though, he has plenty of time to focus on racing and get up to the shop in Statesville, N.C., to help prepare the cars during the week, before heading to the track on the weekends. Holmes will start his Junior year at AU this Fall.
• BHR is finally catching up – After the rough stretch from Salem to Toledo, BHR is finally getting back up to speed on having cars ready to go in a much timelier fashion. This catchup has also allowed for the production of new cars that will see the spotlight later in the season. The team is currently (in association with GMS Racing) working on a new intermediate car that is scheduled to make its debut at Iowa Speedway in two weeks.
Bret Holmes 2017 ARCA Season Stats:
- Starts: 8 (8 of 20)
- Wins: 0 (0.0%)
- Top-5 Finishes: 2 (25.0%)
- Top-10 Finishes: 4 (50.0%)
- Best Start: 2nd (Elko)
- Best Finish: 4th (Elko / Michigan)
- Laps Completed: 1054 of 1187 (88.8%)
- Laps Led: 0
- Average Start: 10.9
- Average Finish: 11.8
- DNF: 2 (Talladega / Toledo)
About Bret Holmes Racing: Bret Holmes Racing is an Alabama-based ARCA racing team that operates out of Munford, AL and Statesville, N.C. while still holding true to its traditional southern roots. Founded by Stacy Holmes, of Holmes II Excavation in Munford, the team sticks to its good nature and solid values to put the best product on and off the track with its driver Bret Holmes.