Race Preview: Holmes ready for the high-banks of WinchesterAugust 2, 2017
Winchester ARCA 200
Bret Holmes, No. 23 Southern States Bank Chevrolet
ARCA Racing Series Presented by Menards
Winchester Speedway (August 6, 2017)
Race: 13 of 20
Crew Chief: Sam Schram
Primary Sponsor(s): Southern States Bank / Holmes II Excavation
Engine: ARCA Ilmor 396
2017 Driver Points: 6th (2600 pts.)
2017 SCOTT Rookie Points: 2nd (288 pts.)
Sound Clip – Bret Holmes:
Bret’s thoughts on 14th-place finish at Pocono.
“We were all a bit disappointed in our run at Pocono. We brought a much better car than last time, but we blew a left front tire that put us a lap down, and with very few cautions, we could never get it back. It was frustrating, no doubt, but we just have to keep on going. That is all you can do."
Bret, you tested at Winchester a few weeks ago to good results. What can we expect this weekend?
“We had a really good test at Winchester right after LOR, and we feel very confident in coming back this weekend. I think Winchester is just one of those tracks that suits me well as a driver. I have some good experience there running Late Models, and I feel like I have an advantage there, but mainly because I know the team has worked incredibly hard on this car and I believe we will see some excellent results this weekend.
Give us your best description of Winchester?
“The place is a bullring, and with the banking, there aren’t many tracks like it. It provides a lot of close racing, rubbing and bumping that the fans like to see, and it is just one of those places where running in the race feels like you are in qualifying for 200 laps. It is balls-to-the-wall racing at its best, and I can’t wait to get up there."
The Highlight Reel:
• Holmes no stranger to Winchester – The Munford, Ala., native has competed multiple times at the famed Indiana track, with a career best finish of second in a Pro Late Model. Holmes has also competed twice in the famous Winchester 400 with a career best finish of eighth in 2016.
• Winchester ARCA 200 media coverage – The Winchester ARCA 200 will be tape-delayed on MAVTV, airing initially August 19 at 10 p.m. Eastern, and again on August 26 at 10 p.m. Follow live coverage of all the ARCA on-track activities at Winchester with Live audio, timing and scoring and Live chat at arcaracing.com Saturday and Sunday.
• Holmes to start the most diverse stretch of career – With the unrivaled diversity that the ARCA Racing Series Presented by Menards brings to racing, Bret Holmes and his team will now embark on the most diverse stretch of his young career. Starting with a paved Winchester, then on to the dirt at Springfield and DuQuoin, with a Road America road course in between, Holmes is confident and excited for the opportunity to compete on such a wide variety of track. This will be the first time Holmes will have competed on a road course and dirt track in the ARCA Racing Series.
Bret Holmes 2017 ARCA Season Stats:
- Starts: 12 (12 of 20)
- Wins: 0 (0.0%)
- Top-5 Finishes: 2 (16.7%)
- Top-10 Finishes: 7 (58.3%)
- Best Start: 2nd (Elko)
- Best Finish: 4th (Elko / Michigan)
- Laps Completed: 1662 of 1797 (92.5%)
- Laps Led: 0
- Average Start: 10.4
- Average Finish: 11.0
- DNF: 2 (Talladega / Toledo)
About Bret Holmes Racing: Bret Holmes Racing is an Alabama-based ARCA racing team that operates out of Munford, AL and Statesville, N.C. while still holding true to its traditional southern roots. Founded by Stacy Holmes, of Holmes II Excavation in Munford, the team sticks to its good nature and solid values to put the best product on and off the track with its driver Bret Holmes.